Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Lost and Found: Crystal Window Bracelet

I enjoyed another great session at Artful Bead Studio last week, where I made this unique Crystal Window Cuff Bracelet. As with all of the classes offered by Artful Bead Studio, I was truly excited for this one.  I was a little frustrated during the class session though, because the bracelet was not turning out as nicely as I had expected, and I was struggling with the pattern.  For this project, I felt truly challenged.

Often times, I am the last person to complete a project during a workshop session.  Of course, the time needed to complete a project varies based on each project's techniques, and other factors.  This project definitely required more time than a class session would allow.  The minute I got home, I got right back to work on it, but could not complete it before retiring for the evening.

The next day, I picked up where I'd left off the previous evening, but after a few stitches, I discovered a mistake in the piece.  Argh!   My motto is always, "when in doubt, rip it out!"  Despite my best effort, I was unable to tear out the stitches necessary to correct my error.  I then decided to just start the entire project over.  I didn't mind starting over too much, because the first time around, I learned the motif, I became familiar with the stitches used in the pattern, and I learned to adjust my technique for better thread tension.  My project re-do would be much improved, I vowed.


My darling husband and I went to New York City for the weekend to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary, so I took my unfinished project with me.  I figured that in the event I found myself with some idle time, I could work on it.  Hubby and I spent a portion of the afternoon relaxing in our room, so I pulled out my project and got to work.  Much to my surprise, I completed the bracelet!!!  I never expected to finish it, but I was THRILLED and so pleased!  

The next day, hubby and I went to Tavern On The Green for a wonderful Sunday brunch, so I decided to wear my new bracelet. We no sooner returned to our room from brunch when I noticed the bracelet was no longer on my wrist!  I was DEVASTATED!  It was not the cost of the beads or materials that I was fretting over.  No, it was the commitment of time and genuine effort that I put into my newest creation... the now vanished piece.  :-(  What I think happened, is that the bracelet got caught on the end of the sleeve of my sweater when I was taking it off during our walk back from the restaurant.  I didn't feel the bracelet slip off of my wrist, so I can't say for sure if this is what took place, but somehow, the bracelet slipped off of my wrist without me realizing it.  Hubby and I went back out and re-traced all of our steps to and from the restaurant, inside the restaurant, and even the restroom, but my bracelet was nowhere to be found.  Now, I am bummed out!!


Following brunch, I decided to venture out in search of bead shops in the city.  It was a beautiful day to walk around New York City and I thought perhaps a trip to the bead shop would cure my disappointment of the day.  I walked for MANY, MANY blocks, until I found a couple of bead shops that were open and worthy of exploration.  

The first shop proved disappointing.  They didn't carry Czech crystals, which is primarily what I've been using since I started taking classes at Artful.  The seed bead selection they had was very limited also.  They did carry 8# Fireline - the thread used for this Crystal Window bracelet project, so that was what I purchased.


The second shop was located right next door!  Awesome!  This shop didn't have a huge selection of Czech crystals, but they did carry them, and so I purchased a small amount in two colors.  What I did find in this shop was a number of beautiful, interesting beads with large holes.  Large-holed beads make great focals in either macrame or wire work projects.  The treasures I found here made my extra long walk well worth it. 


As I prepared to leave bead shop number two, my darling husband rang my cell phone to inform me that he recovered my missing bracelet!!  I just couldn't believe my ears!  I felt so relieved!  My sadness turned to delight in an instant!  My husband is just amazing at locating any items that I manage to lose or misplace!!  Truly remarkable!  His New York City favorite is Angelo's Pizza, so I stopped and bought him a pie on my way back to our place.  The large half-plain, half-pepperoni was his prize this weekend and he was tickled. :-)



In all, it was a pleasant weekend. Relaxation, great food, bead shopping, and the pulse of the city that always brings a smile to my face.  

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story! I'm glad you found your bracelet. That was a sheer miracle. Happy Anniversary! Lidia

    ReplyDelete