Friday, September 4, 2009

Week of Workshops

I had a productive week with jewelry workshops. I feel so fortunate to be able to participate in them, and I'm enjoying all the variety! I took three classes at Artful Bead Studio, and I've got one more planned for this coming Saturday. Barbara, Laina & Amy (Artful Bead Studio owners) are all so artistically talented, and they are extremely patient instructors. I enjoy the time I spend with them and the other beaders that I meet at the studio.

This week, I learned to bezel Swarovski Rivolis, link them together, and use them as buttons for closures. After completing the rivoli embellishments, I added a chain using right-angle weave stitches with seed beads and crystals to create the length of the completed necklace.




I also learned to create netting overlay on a right-angle weave base, a technique that can be applied to any woven beaded project. The earrings pictured here are Amy Haftkowycz's design, which was published in the June/July 2009 issue of Beadwork Magazine. Now I ask you, what could be better than having the designer herself teach you how to create her design?! Thank you, Amy! The netted-overlay bracelet pictured here is also Amy's design. It is fun to make, and I just love it!




I have to admit that I am really enjoying bead stitching, though I never expected that I would. I hadn't even considered attempting bead stitching until I began socializing on beading networks, groups, and forms. I'm delighted that I decided to give it a try because I'm enjoying it so very much! Woven beaded jewelry is stunning, in my humble opinion. In thinking back, I suppose I never really took the time to truly appreciate the beauty of woven beaded jewelry. Now that I'm crafting my own, I seem to have a deeper appreciation for it.

As my user name suggests, I enjoy creating wire jewelry, but for now, I'm having a splendid time learning to stitch beads together with a needle and thread. I look forward to uniting my wire work and bead stitching techniques in future projects, to create some truly unique jewelry items.

No comments:

Post a Comment