Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Going in Circles Necklace


This necklace is the very first piece that I've crafted that included using Liver of Sulphur (LOS) solution to patina the metal. All of the sterling silver (SS) head pins used for wire-wrapping the pearl bead units, and the SS toggle clasp needed to be darkened to match the gunmetal chain. Other than the funky smell of the LOS, the patina process was simple and quick to do, much to my surprise. I happened to be reading one of my jewelry making books this week and came across a section that discussed using LOS to patina various metals. I'm glad I read the book because the author noted something about the use of LOS that I had not previously known. You can not patina silver and copper at the same time. Well, I actually did this my very first time using the LOS because I was unaware of this. I noticed a difference in the LOS solution the second time, when I darkened only SS components. So, I learned a valuable lesson with this project, and I'm thrilled with my new necklace. I adore the luster and beauty of freshwater pearls (FWP) and I love the combination of pearls and gunmetal in this piece. Thanks again to Fusion Beads for the sweet inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment